DELL XPS M1730

m1730 upgrade questions., upgrade ?

« Older   Newer »
bradazno1
view post Posted on 27/9/2009, 08:47

2 duo cpu [email protected], 4gb of ram, nvidea geforce 8700mgt.
Anyone know what upgrades are available to improve my gaming capabilites.
ive had the laptop along time now and still happy with it but feel i could get more out of it, if i upgrade parts or install better drivers?????
heard great things about this 8800 graphics card upgrade (youtube) but seems to good to be true? does it really improve graphics by 150percent? but price wise =£400 which is alot . i know very little about computers but enough to keep drivers up to date . if i was to buy this card is it worth the upgrade? and would the rest of the computer be able to cope with a better graphics card. or would i need to install more ram ? is it possible? is the cpu up to the job? or does the graphics card do all the hard work itself when gaming? Like i said earlier im still new to the technical side of how a pc works? ive been told i could build a excellent gaming pc tower for that price that could run all games no problem. so im toying with the idea of building my own from scratch after looking at an artical in custom pc mag "PC BUILDING MARSTERCLASS" oct 2009.
thanks

bradazno1
view post Posted on 4/10/2009, 22:51

still waiting????

sunnah
view post Posted on 26/10/2009, 14:38

This is one of the very few laptops out there that the graphics card can be upgraded. But it will cost you and it really is not worth it. Dell sells the NVIDIA M card in their parts store but it is over a thousand dollars. I think they also offer the processor upgrade. But once you do the math it is better to make your own machine that screams or just get a better laptop. I did just read this article on over clocking built into the Dell BIOS. I am going to check it out and see what happens. I just installed Batman: Arkham Assylum and it is pretty impressive. And my machine is 32bit stock with the maxed out RAM. I do notice a slight lag and interested in what the over clocking will do. I also have Windows7 RTM but have not installed it yet. That in itself has the possibility of improving gaming resources.

Now that I am out of my warranted period I have to figure out what I can do to get the battery to keep its charge. I bought a new battery but my laptop has to be plugged in all the time :(

Overclocking:
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKE1Gn5mUoU

2 replies since 27/9/2009, 08:47   90 views