mark8par
view post Posted on 10/3/2008, 23:56

hi i have the following spec,

xps m1730
2.4 ghz
2x 160 7200rpm
2x 8700gt sli
4 gb memory

the problem is the graphics cards just dont seem to perform right, i have spoken to Dell and suggested an upgrade (i have had other issues for months and had to send my last one back, this has gone on since last november) i have spent alot of time and effort with this but they are reluctant to upgrade to better graphics card. I personnaly dont think this card is upto the job and a single 8700m gt 512mb woulf be better i think. has anyone managed to get them to upgrade and how can i pursuade them to assist.

cheers mark

Petengy
view post Posted on 11/3/2008, 18:57

dear mark8par I have your same configuration, and at the beginning I wasn't satisfied of my graphic cards .... I had your impression.

Then walking around the web I found some solutions to improve 8700 SLI perfomances.

If you read my posts here you should find a way to solve your problem (I hope).

Mainly I :

1. Upgraded Nvidia drivers form laptopvideo2go to 169.09

2. Installed nHancer to modify SLI settings, over all SLI rendering modes

3. Obvyously turned on SLI conf, I don't know why but they were off

But if you read posts here you can know exactly what I done.

By the way if some here could tell me if 169.09 is the best version or not I'll be very happy. I ask because I know that talking about nvidia beta drivers last doesn't necessary mean best.

tell me if you solve :)

your Pet

Radot
view post Posted on 14/3/2008, 22:09

Hello Mark,

Please let us know what happens with you graphic issues, I have exactly the same XPS bought in last November with exactly the same issues or very similar.

It doesn't seem like i can get the SLI to work at all and i seriously wonder if the separate graphic processor does anything at all...

I have been speaking several times with Dell about the issue, 1st recommendation was to update some drivers which did nothing but turn SLI off again. It is a shame to pay that amount of money for a top of the range computer ($4400AUD in my case) to be confronted with those issues (I have several other ongoing issues as well with Office 2007).

Last i spoke to Dell a week ago, the customer support representative said that an engineer would call me directly to try and solve the issues... I am still waiting for that call! I have emailed Dell Support and all I got for an answer wasto do a Dell PC restore which would erase everything i spent 2-3 weeks to install on this laptop.

Good luck to you and I will keep people updated on any new developments on my isuues..

ramik
view post Posted on 16/3/2008, 21:09

hi i am new to this forum but i am xps 1730 user aswell :
2 gb ram
8700m gt x 2
trying to run Crysis on high is imposible for me !! Barely on med (but low fps) !!
is it what i supposed to have ? or it is capable of more ? i use the latest (i think) driver moded (169.09)
sorry for my english i am Israeli :) thx ahead

sken21
view post Posted on 3/6/2009, 09:55

I have a similar config but with the x7900, i am going to pay for the 8800gtx sli and install it i have tracked down a supply of the cards its around $740 or £450 something arounf there its worth it for the better cards.

4 replies since 10/3/2008, 23:56   458 views