DELL XPS M1730

how to INSTALL UBUNTU 64bit on EXTERNAL USB HD, how I was able to run Ubuntu 64bit on and external WD usb HD

« Older   Newer »
Petengy
icon11  view post Posted on 14/2/2008, 23:17

So after a few days trying to install ubuntu on a internal partition, and after finding absolutely nothing I found a way to install it on my external USB HD.

All my instructions come from a quite Linux newbie, so please feel free to post comments to my errors.
I'm writng from Ubuntu on my xps now, so ..... follow me and we will see

Here what I done:

First the funny part of this "how to"....

There is a way to start the installation process telling to the installer where exactly put ubuntu and the boot loader (GRUB), to do this you have to identify your externa HD in ubuntu and keep attention during the installation to input the correct path.
That's because we don't absolutely want destroy partitions inside our internal HDs.
The "name" of external disk should be something like /dev/sda"x" or sdb"y" and so on. I spent some hours to exactly identify the external usb HD, and I was able to install ubuntu on a pre-installation test I done on my desktop without destroy internal HDs... but.... on my XPS (a new one) I preferred another...... way.

TURN OFF your Dell.

Open the cover where HD are stored, see the Dell manual.
Then I disconnected both 2 HDs

:shifty: I done it without extract any screw (there were a blue paint on them ;) ;) ;) ) I simply partially removed the cables behind the two HDs, helping me with two small screwdrivers. Remember is not necessary to completely remove them, overall because it's quite impossible without remove the box where HDs are fixed...ok? taht's all.

and now let's go to install "Start Ubuntu Live CD":

Insert the live CD and turn on your XPS. (the cd shuld boot first, but if not so hit F12 when you turn your pc and select the right choice).

When the menu appear select the first choice "start or install ubuntu"

after a few minutes ubuntu won't find a properly graphic card, click on "continue" button of the window that will appear.

Now boot process will stop .... hit CTRL+F3 to enter in terminal mode and write : "startx" without quote.

After a while you should be in live ubuntu desktop.

Now connect your USB HD and after it's mounted (you will see the HD icon on the desktop) start Gparted, you find it in "system" menu on top of desktop.

Inside Gparted find your external HD and verify it's properly recognized but mainly verify that there ARE NOT the 2 internal HDs, you must see only your connected external HD.
At this point I preferred to completely format my USb HD but probably is not necessary.

Ok close Gparted and click on "install" icon, and when the wizard ask you give a properly answers till the partition process.....

Here you decide where and how to put Ubuntu on your HD, simple because there is only the usb HD. I choosed to use the all HD to install ubuntu, in this way all the necessary partitions are automatically created.

You can make your own choices there's no danger,,,, remember internal HD are disconnected.

Now continue with the wizard and start the installation process.

When it's finished remove the live CD and reboot.

Before the system start TURN OFF your laptop and reconnect the two HDs.

Now turn on and hit F12 to select boot from USB, confirm and :::: ubuntu will start on your dell xps:::: I REALLY HOPE.

Now you have to activate proprietary NVIDIA driver by the restricted drivers tool (see wiki around the web), I preferred use ENVY to automatically install driver from NVIDIA and it work perfectly.

You are inside your Ubuntu and you feel happy .. but... you will find a lot of error messages trying to change GNOME settings like fonts or aspect elements and so on. Not only if you activate compiz you'll see some scattering and low performances, all this without SOUNDS...

Don't worry all this happens because ALSA driver were not properly installed or were not installed at all.

I solved everything (gnome bugs and sounds fault) installing and compiling ALSA for our sound system, that is : Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller .

The way to do it is described in the other "HOW TO" named "HOW TO INSTALL ALSA and hear sounds", that I'm near to post so wait and be patient.

So following this instructions plus "ALSA" instructions you should have a perfectly working UBUNTU on your externalusb HD working on your xps1730 laptop.

NOTE:
As I told you I'm not a guru of Linux, so, please, if someone here have some more detailed instructions write here.

good luck to all

Pet

0 replies since 14/2/2008, 23:17   69 views