DELL XPS M1730

Get a speedy M1730, Tips on how to get good speed and reliability

« Older   Newer »
NickyJ
view post Posted on 29/4/2008, 12:30

This feed is a general feed to help get more and more speed from the M1730. My Specs listed below will help those

- 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 320GB HDD (2x 160GB)
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Ageia PhysX M100
- Dual 8700M 256MB in SLi

Many tips and tricks go un-noticed in Windows, and Vista makes sure that you can't foget by doing it automatically.

The first is defragmentation. The M1730's abundant space means that the disk's get more fragmented than usual. Playing heavy duty games like Crysis, COD4 or Cellfactor really defragment your drives. For this reason you should do it once a fortnight. Therefore it can stay very fresh.

The next is to get the latest nVidia drivers and set up profiles for games, therefore they can work corectly. The latest version enables you to enable and disable the SLi link without restarting.

Run a Virus scan weekly. New virus's occur often, so scanning is very useful. It does not greatly use much resources apart from the disk.

Hibernation can be useful especially if you need to restore quickly, however you should shut it down every few days. That way services and programs that have started and are no longer required can be safely turned off.

Avoid Battery modes. The internal battery can give around 40m to 1hr of power, but the system will not perform. A recent test showed my CPU max frequency dropped from 2.4 to 1.8GHz to save power!

Only use codecs that you need. Codecs are used to play certain files. However un-used codecs will run in the background without knowledge.

Turn off start-up programs except the required programs. Dell has up to 15 programs start when the computer turns on, most are not required like the camera manager and Roxio Suite. These can be turned off and enables when required.

Any more tips do get in touch. Soon you'll have a very fast and very stable XPS. My reliability rating has risen from 2.5 to 6.3 and is very steady

KillerFitfh
view post Posted on 2/10/2008, 12:42

ok thank you =)

saintshakajin
view post Posted on 9/10/2008, 10:00

This isn't only for Dell computer.
I think we could make a topic dedicated to the optimisation of a Windows Vista. For example, which defrag software is the best (or the faster), which services can we desactivate (and are useless), etc...
If anyone is interested, I can begin :D

2 replies since 29/4/2008, 12:30   393 views